Here are a few tips on how to treat your server when you are eating out.
1. When the server tells you their name and asks you how are you today, don’t reply with your drink order.
2. Just BE NICE. Simple words like please and thank you go a long way.
3. If you are going to drink 10 cokes, apologize and try to remember that you are not the only table your server has.
4. When you order your meal and you know you are going to need 5 things to go with it, go ahead and ask for them to save the server a trip.
5. Don’t camp out at the table for hours. Go to a coffee shop or to a bar after you eat. If you do stay for more than a hour or hour and a half, leave extra on the tip to compensate the servers loss of not receiving another table.
6. Servers make $2.13 an hour. Their livelihood depends on tips. The expected and appreciated tip is 20% if your server is doing a good job. Verbal tips don’t pay bills.
With all of this being said, some servers are terrible and don’t deserve 20%. It is not something that should be guaranteed but earned.
If you do get a good server, take care of them and they will take care of you.
Have a good weekend!
Pictures were found on Pinterest.